General FAQs

What is a body corporate?

The body corporate (BC) is an entity made up of all the unit owners in a unit title development, such as an apartment building, office building or town house complex. It is designed to allow all owners to jointly make decisions affecting the unit title development and so the BC is responsible for a range of management, financial and administrative matters relating to the common property and the unit title development as a whole.

What do I need to know about a body corporate before purchasing an apartment, town house or other unit in a BC?

If you purchase a unit in a BC, such as an apartment, you will become part of the body corporate. The BC has a number of responsibilities set out in the Unit Titles Act 2010 and the associated Unit Titles Regulations 2011. You should try to establish whether or not the BC is run effectively and in accordance with the legislation: read the BC rules and carefully read the minutes of meetings (including Chair's reports and financial accounts) from the last 3 years to look for potential problems that the building or BC may be facing. You should ask to see the Long Term Maintenance Plan and determine whether or not it is funded and whether the scheduled maintenance is up to date. You should also be aware that although the BC may be responsible for maintenance of many of the building elements, it can be charged back to owners if only one or some owners benefit from that maintenance. The owner is also responsible for all maintenance within their unit's boundary.
Consumer NZ also have a good article on their website on other things you should consider.

What does UTA2010 and UTR mean?

Sometimes you will see these references in our resource material. UTA2010 = Unit Titles Act 2010; UTR – Unit Title Regulations 2011. These are the key pieces of legislation that determine how BCs should be created and governed.

Membership FAQs

Who can join the BCCG?

Membership is typically targeted toward body corporate chairpersons, but is open to anyone with an interest in body corporate matters. Our associate members currently include BC managment companies, property managers, lawyers, engineers, architects, local councils, compliance consultants and others.

Can casual members attend meetings?

Yes casual members can attend meetings by paying a $40 door charge per meeting (becoming a financial member will make all meeting attendances free and give you access to resources such as the presentation material from the meeting). Please note that casual members will not be sent resources after meetings.

I am no longer the Chair so what happens to my BC's BCCG membership?

If your BCCG membership is a BC membership and you are no longer the BC Chair, the BC continues to be a member. You need to alter the contact details for your BC to reflect the new Chair's details: go to Manage My Membership. Make sure you change the email address so that all future communication will go to the new Chair. The new Chair can then use the Forgot My Password option to reset the password.

I am a casual member but want to be a full financial member, what do I need to do?

If you want to upgrade your membership you need to contact your branch treasurer: wellington.treasurer@bccg.co.nz or auckland.treasurer@bccg.co.nz. They will send you an invoice with instructions for payment of your membership fee.

MoST Content Management V3.0.6306